Monday, February 15, 2010

Food Inc. p 3-64

The one part of the film that really stood out to me was the aspect that most of the major food corporations were unwilling to comment on the film or declined to be interviewed. I think this sent a powerful message about the views of the kinds of attitudes many of the big companies had about the production of their own products. I got the feeling that they had a “don’t ask don’t tell” mentality about how their food is made. We as Americans show up to the super markets and see the food neatly placed on the shelves and our thought process stops there. We rarely think of how did this food get here? What were the methods used in the production of this product? We often sacrifice health and/or moral integrity for efficiency and value. If we can get a product that tastes good for cheap, Americans rarely ask questions. The average American would much rather have a double cheese burger from McDonald’s than a homemade salad with organically grown ingredients. I am this average American of which I speak. So it is difficult so have such knowledge provided in Food Inc. and still have reluctance when changing my eating habits. Both the big companies and the local farmers were reluctant to be interviewed for this project for one main reason which the author clearly states: fear. These farmers’ livelihoods depend on contracts with these companies such as Tyson. These companies have such power of the farmers that if the farmers were to speak out against these major corporations, the farmers’ contracts could be revoked and their economic livelihood would be destroyed. It was how this message was displayed in the movie with simple text rolling across the screen that this message was strongly conveyed. The makers of the movie did not need many fancy visual effects for this message, like the author said, they spoke for themselves.

The readings from the film very well supported the arguments of these major corporations not being willing to participate. The author said that it was not his intention to take such an anti-big business approach but to provide arguments for both sides and be able to reach a broad audience. “My goal was to reach a larger audience than just the food activists by including many divergent points of view about the system. Unfortunately, the industrial voices proved to be difficult to include” (33). I understand the author’s point he was trying to make but I have a hard time believing that it was not his intention to make the major food corporations look bad. I agree, however, that once there was further investigation of this matter that the insecurities about the major food corporations were impossible not to reveal.

9 comments:

  1. I agree. It's very disturbing that food corporations aren't willing to speak about their products. What are they hiding? It seems, if they're unwilling to speak, then they know whatever they're doing isn't right. I would almost be able to afford some more respect to them if they were willing to speak about their wrongdoings. I thought it was smart of the film to mention every corporation that wasn't willing to speak to them, just to give the negative connotation that comes with that. At least with that small aspect, viewers can see that the big companies are hiding something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sad but true with Americans thought process. The cheaper the better with no questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it was kind of a red flag when none of the major companies volunteered to be interviewed.Not only that but in the cases of farmers showing their chicken barns, these companies wouldn't let the farmers to allow the film crew into the barns to get video coverage. All except the one farmer who did let the film crew in, and then almost immediately lost her contract and most likely her farm eventually. It's all about the money in the big companies eyes

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corporations would much rather make a buck then to reveal there secrets as to how the product is indeed produced. This greed mentality is sad and it is hard to conceive if it will ever end. These corporations run the country and would rather give us what practically seems like poison then to sacrifice their profit margins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad that because of fear of a lawsuit, that farmers and individuals won't speak out about food. If the person does speak out against the food the corporation files a lawsuit to try and prove a point. Even if the food company loses they feel that they have accomplished something because it will warn others not to try and speak out against the food that they produce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like what you said about the idea that most Americans go into the grocery store and look at the product and don't think twice about how it got their or how it was produced. I myself fall in this trap all the time. Viewing this film has now made me want to think twice about what I am consuming. I am worried for my own health especially when I heard the story about the little boy who died from the hamburger meat being infected. This is quite tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the fact that many large corporations did not speak up or at least try to defend their position very frustrating as well. I disagree with you that the director was purposefully trying to hurt the reputation of food corporations though.I felt he had a very hands off approach when it came to commentary and let the actual players in the industry talk the entire time. In this way I feel the film portrayed the industry pretty fairly as it was their fault for not defending any accusations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree, I'm also one of those "average" Americans. When I'm grocery shopping I just look for the cheapest kind of food, I don't compare where it came from or how it was made when I make my purchase. This movie really makes me want to pay more attention to what I'm buying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in agreement with a lot of whats being said here. I too was very interested in how the cheapest things are often the worst things you can buy. I typically don't pay too much attention to my groceries and the number one determinant is always the price. After having seen this film though, Ill be sure to pay a little closer attention.

    Also, I can't say I was surprised by the lack of cooperation by the big corporations when it came to interviews. I feel like that always happens, but then I wonder why. If these companies simply would say anything, chances are it would look better to the public than saying nothing at all. It makes you wonder...if they wont say anything...then there must really be nothing at all good to say.

    ReplyDelete